Memory foam mattresses have been integrated with a special kind of foam. This foam absorbs your body’s heat and it will thereby conform and adhere to the contours of your body.
There are a lot of tips on how not to clean a memory foam mattress. Before we get down to the business of cleaning and disinfecting the mattress, we will find out first what not to do with this type of foam.
What NOT To Do
- The first thing you need to consider is not to use anything harsh on the mattress such as bleach, borax or hydrogen peroxide. It might work with other mattresses but it is a definite no-no with a memory foam. Unless you don’t mind splotches of mattress discoloration, that is.
- Also do not soak the foam through. I will bet my dollar that if you do, you will have a hard time getting rid of the moisture inside the mattress. Moisture will surely lead to mold and mildew propagation.
- Do not subject the mattress to intensive heat just in case you have a difficult time drying it. If you want to dry the surface of the mattress, use a hair dryer in its lowest settings or just leave it in a well-ventilated room.
What To Do
- To clean the mattress, you can sprinkle baking soda on it. It deodorizes the mattress first and unseats stains. For better stain-removing powers, mix baking soda with vinegar and add a bit of water. Spray it on the stains only and leave it there to dry for an hour. Once the stains have come off, vacuum the mattress.
- You can also use a mild detergent with antibacterial properties so it can disinfect the mattress. Just dissolve detergent powder in water and use the suds to clean the mattress surface. In this way, you will not soak the mattress through.
- Spraying on rubbing alcohol on the mattress surface also helps to disinfect it. Rubbing alcohol also dries up pretty quickly so there shouldn’t be a problem with this.
Now that you know what to do and what not to do with your memory foam mattress, it is time to do some serious cleaning. This mattress costs a lot when you buy it new so you have to keep it in top shape for a long time. Allot a time of the month in cleaning this mattress and you can save a lot of money in buying a new one.